11/14/11

This Week in Scripture; peace and pondering.

There are many who say, "Who will show us some good? Lift up the light of your face upon us, O LORD!" You have put more joy in my heart than they have when their grain and wine abound. In peace I will both lie down and sleep; for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety. - Psalm 4:6-8

One thing that I've noticed in my faith walk: If I have a quiet time with God first thing in the morning, my attitude is almost always peaceful and content; I manage to have a good day, even with hiccups and goofs. When I don't, I'm in a foul mood and I try my hardest not to let it affect my husband or daughter (I often fail in that sad endeavor.).

For some folks, that seems like a no-brainer; by now, it's become a habit to do a daily devotional or to carve out some time for prayer. In my case, it's been a "Well, duh!" moment. It's a good reminder that one who isn't sure of her foothold is one that will be washed away. I don't want to be washed away; I want a solid foundation that's set on Christ!

This week, I'm focusing on the rest of the psalm; I'll be paying quite a bit of attention to verse 8, which shows that a peaceful heart is one that trusts in the LORD. It ties in with the previous verse, which we're to "ponder in your own hearts on your beds, and be silent" (Psalm 4:4); to reflect on God's glory and His holiness isn't a bad thing. To be firm on that faith is a blessing indeed.

No comments: