9/6/11

This Week in Scripture; give me understanding!

Your testimonies are righteous forever; give me understanding that I may live. - Psalm 119:144

I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand a lot of things; my knowledge in some subjects is sorely lacking, while other subjects can be breezed through in minutes. Even though I have a good grasp of the subjects that I'm good at, I still get the twinge of inadequacy when I'm not able to communicate in Spanish, discuss quantum physics with friends or play a violin (I'd be lucky enough to ask where the bathroom is in Spanish, ask what "quantum" really means in terms of physics and screech out a note on that violin.).

The same can be applied to Scripture; I'm not the one that memorizes well (Unless set to music; don't ask.) and I can get bogged down with something insignificant. However, I often ask the Holy Spirit to give me understanding of what the Scripture is saying (Even though I may think I know what the Word's saying, there will always be a humdinger waiting to kick me in the pants. A really good humdinger that comes to mind is the last 4 or so chapters in Judges.).

I'll admit that the last part of the verse is somewhat confusing to me (Does the psalmist mean that he'll live longer? If he doesn't understand, does that mean that he won't live as long?), but it's something that I'll be asking the Holy Spirit (and my pastor) this week. :)

No comments: