5/16/11

This Week in Scripture; Encouragement At It's Best!

When I chose this week's Scripture verse to memorize, I paused after I read it.

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you. (Isaiah 43:2, ESV)

It made me pause for this reason: During our trials and various problems through life, God will always be there and He will not turn His back on you.

When I was growing up, my dad was not the best dad out there; I knew that he would only show up at events I was involved in because my mom practically begged him to show up. Even when he did, he'd sit in the very back and closest to the exit; he was clearly not interested in being there and he showed his lack of enthusiasm. I knew that he would be bored out of his mind, yet I wanted him there to support and encourage me; I still never received that support and encouragement. The one thing I longed to hear from Dad was "I'm proud of you" and I never heard it from him.

When I became a Christian (God's grace alone did that; I can't claim anything on that one.) when I was 20 years old (That was 10 years ago; God's timing is perfect.), I had a hard time relating to God as Father (Sometimes, I still do.) and a perfect Father at that (That was even more mind-boggling.); He encourages, consoles and disciplines His children perfectly and with love. I never had that kind of example growing up and I struggled with that. I struggled a long time with the idea of an affectionate, loving and encouraging Father.

When I was younger, I looked at fathers with their kids and I ached with sadness; I was jealous of those kids because their dads actually cared. My dad was more concerned about his golf game and whether or not things were done his way.

I would not be surprised if Dad despised the idea of his daughter embracing Christ as Savior; it was the exact opposite of how he lived his life. He chose early on to reject Christianity and showed in various ways how hostile he was to the faith.

Now, I watch my husband with his little girl and I smile; he's encouraging her, he consoles her when she falls and disciplines her when she needs it. My daughter will know what a loving father is like, because she'll have both her temporal father and her eternal Father; that's what I want Bee to witness as she grows up and when the Holy Spirit draws her near to her Savior.

No comments: