1/2/12

This Week in Scripture; my God I will trust.

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." - Psalm 91:1-2

(Even though the Scripture memorizing challenge is over, I'll keep going on; honestly, I could use to learn more Scripture!)

I guess I have the idea of God being a refuge and fortress stuck in my head; the only Constant in this life (and the next) is an unshakeable, unmovable, holy God that serves as a refuge and fortress! We all can use a little more stability in our lives (I know I do; it certainly eases the stress and pain of moving constantly.) and God provides that in spades.

While it may not appear that our lives are stable (In fact, life could look more chaotic and haphazard.), our souls are at rest.

A hymn that I love to sing is "It is Well With My Soul"; it was written by Horatio Spafford, after the loss of his children (They were on a ship that had sunk; out of his family, his wife survived.). The following verse in particular stirs my heart:

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

With the various trials that come our way, we have the assurance that Christ shed His blood on our behalf and that we're able to abide in His shadow.

No comments: