12/26/11

This Week in Scripture; my refuge is God and trust in Him at all times.

He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before Him; God is a refuge for us. Selah - Psalm 62:6-8

Only God provides my salvation and He alone is able to protect me (He has done so in the past; why not trust Him in the present and the future?); He kept me from committing sins more grievous than I dared to consider and He counted me as one of His as a sinner saved by grace.

It was His grace that atoned for my sin and it was His grace that I run to as a refuge.

I love the idea of God being our refuge (I shared this earlier, with another verse that I had memorized.), but I love the idea of God being our salvation more. While we can hide in Him as a Mighty Fortress and lean on Him for He's our rock, but we can also pour our heart out before Him. He's a Comforter as well and we're to trust in Him at all times (Not occasionally and not once in a blue moon. "At all times" means constantly and consistently.). To have a God that we can trust is a blessing that is far-reaching; that truth is healing for broken bones and mending for a broken heart.

I thought the following quote from John Owen is poignant and helpful:

It is not the distance of the earth from the sun, nor the sun's withdrawing itself, that makes a dark and gloomy day; but the interposition of clouds and vaporous exhalations. Neither is thy soul beyond the reach of the promise, nor does God withdraw Himself; but the vapours of thy carnal, unbelieving heart do cloud thee. - John Owen

God doesn't withdraw from us, especially when we need to lean on Him the most. We tend to move away from Him, but He doesn't let go of us. His not letting go is the salve that we need.

To God be the glory (Soli Deo Gloria)!

No comments: